The choice between living with crooked, gapped, or crowded teeth and chunky metal braces isn’t an easy one. Most teens and adults can’t decide which is more embarrassing. Thankfully, there’s a third option! Clear bracket braces are just one of the more discreet orthodontic options available to those seeking to align their smile.
Want to learn more? Read this blog to discover everything you need to know about the most inconspicuous orthodontic options.
Clear Bracket Braces
Also called clear ceramic braces, this orthodontic treatment functions just like traditional metal braces. Aside from their discreet appearance, ceramic braces offer these advantages:
- Highly effective: Clear braces are as effective as traditional metal braces for treating mild to severe dental issues like overbite, misalignment, and gapped teeth. There is a bracket secured to each tooth and a wire running through each bracket. These wires are tightened regularly to apply gentle pressure that moves teeth into the proper positions.
- Use of epoxy: This bonding adhesive is not as hard on the enamel as the bonding material used for metal braces so you’re less likely to experience sensitivity once the braces are removed.
- Less responsibility: Clear aligners can be difficult to keep up with, and if they aren’t worn for at least 22 hours a day, they aren’t effective. Ceramic braces can’t be removed, so the only thing you have to remember is to maintain good oral hygiene.
- Comfort: Metal brackets scratch and irritate the soft tissues inside the mouth. Ceramic is much smoother so you don’t have to use wax as often.
The most common complaints about ceramic braces are (1) they are more expensive, and (2) they stain easily.
Most dentists and patients agree that the cost of clear bracket braces is totally worth it! To make this option more affordable, our dentist offers payment plans and options for almost any budget.
As for staining, patients should follow these tips to prevent discoloration:
- Limit your intake of coffee, tea, and soda
- Brush and floss after meals
- Use a dentist-approved whitening toothpaste
Adults and teens who are seeking the most discreet way to straighten their smiles often choose Invisalign clear aligners. This modern orthodontic option utilizes multiple sets of heavy-duty plastic aligners to gently move teeth into place. Most patients are suitable candidates for Invisalign but check with your orthodontist to make sure.
It’s important that Invisalign patients understand the amount of responsibility that comes with removable aligners. The ability to take out the aligners can be a blessing and a curse. On one hand, you don’t have to worry about uncomfortable metal brackets and food getting stuck in them. On the other hand, you do have to worry about misplacing, throwing away, and not properly using the aligners. Invisalign must be worn for at least 22 hours a day to achieve desired results. Your teeth and aligners must be cleaned after every meal as well.
Besides being nearly invisible, Invisalign clear aligners are extremely comfortable and effective. To learn more about how this modern orthodontic option can improve your smile, talk to your orthodontist today.
Other Orthodontic Options
At Markham Orthodontics, our team is passionate about helping you achieve the smile of your dreams in the fastest, most conservative way possible. In addition to clear bracket braces and Invisalign, we also offer the following options:
- Six Month Smiles®
- Fastbraces® accelerated treatment
Schedule an Initial Consultation
Contact an experienced orthodontist near you today to learn more about clear bracket braces and Invisalign. He will help you decide which option is best for improving your smile.