Are you considering adult orthodontics in Sacramento, CA? If so, our team at Markham Orthodontics can shed some light on the subject. Many of our adult patients worry that they are too old to undergo orthodontic treatment. Today, we will discuss age and orthodontics and explain why you’re never too old to achieve the smile you desire.
To learn more about your treatment options, contact Markham Orthodontics at (916) 924-8970. We will listen to your concerns and design a customized treatment plan to meet your needs.
Age and Orthodontics
In decades past, braces were primarily used for children and teens. However, research has proven the benefits of orthodontic treatment on bite function and overall oral health. As a result, more and more adults are considering this option. Fortunately, there is no upper age limit for braces. Therefore, adults of any age can achieve a straighter, healthier, more beautiful smile.
Other Considerations for Adult Orthodontics
There are a few factors that determine candidacy for adult orthodontics in Sacramento, CA. For example, you may not be eligible for this treatment if you have:
- Old extraction sites: If you had one or more teeth extracted in the past, the remaining socket may or may not be an ideal site for tooth movement. In some cases, this issue can be resolved by placing a bone graft in the area before treatment begins.
- Extensive tooth decay: If you have several cavities, Dr. Markham may recommend that you have restorative work performed first. Once your teeth are healthy and stable, we can begin orthodontic treatment.
- Periodontal disease: Any gingivitis or gum disease must be addressed prior to orthodontic treatment. Gum disease erodes the bone around the teeth roots. If we attempted to move the teeth, they could become loose or fall out. Gum treatments can be performed to eliminate infection and prepare you for braces.
- A high risk for resorption: Root resorption is a condition in which the body reabsorbs the teeth roots. Generally, adults have a much higher risk than children. If you have small roots, or a family history of resorption, you may not qualify for orthodontic treatment.
Orthodontic Options for Adults
If you are thinking about adult orthodontics in Sacramento, CA, there are several options. At our practice, Dr. Markham commonly recommends these treatments for our adult patients:
- Traditional braces: Probably what you imagine when you think of braces, these conventional appliances move the teeth over time using metal brackets, wires, and bands. Though this option is noticeable to others, we can use clear or tooth-colored elastics for a more discreet appearance. Traditional braces are often recommended for patients with severe or complex orthodontic issues.
- Invisalign®: One of the most popular treatment alternatives for our adult patients is Invisalign. This innovative system moves the teeth into their desired positions using a series of clear, removable plastic trays. Virtually invisible, this option is barely noticeable to others. In fact, most people will not even realize you are undergoing treatment.
Are there limitations to adult orthodontics?
Because of the developmental differences between children and adults, some adult patients may require oral surgery to fully correct their orthodontic issues. In general, braces or Invisalign can address a wide range of misalignment problems. However, if there are skeletal issues involved, surgical intervention may be an option. During a visit with Dr. Markham, he can help you determine the right treatment option for your needs.
Learn More about Adult Orthodontics in Sacramento, CA
If you’re over the age of 18 and you desire a straighter smile, consider what adult orthodontics in Sacramento, CA can do for you. To learn more, request an appointment online or call us at (916) 924-8970.