What Dental Problems Can Be Treated With Orthodontics?
Orthodontic treatments can address a wide range of cosmetic dental problems. When you or your child visit our Sacramento, CA office, Dr. David Markham will conduct a comprehensive dental evaluation to determine what type of orthodontic treatment is right for you. If you are curious about what types of tooth alignment problems we can correct, Dr. Markham, along with the rest of the Markham Orthodontics team, has compiled this list.
Common Causes of Misaligned Teeth
Tooth misalignment is very common. In fact, the majority of adults who appear to have perfect teeth probably underwent years of orthodontic treatments in their youth. There are many reasons you or your child may benefit from cosmetic treatments.
Many dental problems form early on when our first set of adult teeth emerge. If our jaws are not large enough to accommodate the new teeth, tooth crowding results. Another cause of misalignment results from the natural process of teeth shifting. The American Association of Orthodontists notes that teeth shifting is a “lifelong and naturally occurring phenomenon.” Another common cause of teeth misalignment is the late eruption of wisdom teeth, which can cause teeth crowding.
Types of Dental Problems Orthodontics Can Treat
After assessing your smile, Dr. Markham may inform you that you have any of the following types of cosmetic dental problems.
- Twisted teeth: A twisted tooth is not flush with the neighboring teeth. This problem is most common with front-facing incisors. If your teeth did not have enough room to properly emerge when you were young, they may have become twisted. This dental problem can make cleaning difficult. This problem can be addressed through orthodontic treatments, which can rotate the tooth into proper alignment.
- Overlapping teeth: If one or more of your teeth are unable to emerge to the front of your jaw due to teeth crowding, the smile may have overlapping teeth. This problem is caused by teeth crowding. We offer multiple treatments that address crowding. Once there is enough space for your teeth to properly align, our braces or Invisalign treatment can gently realign your teeth to eliminate overlapping.
- Tipped teeth: A tipped tooth does not point straight down. The angled tooth can result from a number of causes, including nearby tooth loss.
- Gapped teeth: Gapped teeth are a common source of embarrassment. Large gaps can be addressed with traditional braces. Small gaps can often be fixed with Invisalign treatments.
Depending on the type and severity of your cosmetic dental problems, Dr. Markham may recommend any of these orthodontic treatments:
- Braces (clear and traditional)
- Orthodontic accelerators (AcceleDent)
Once your treatments are complete, it is important for patients to use retainers to maintain their new smiles. Remember, teeth will naturally shift with time. Retainers prevent this shifting back from occurring.
Contact Our Office Today
No matter what types of cosmetic dental problems you have, Dr. Markham has the skills and expertise to treat your blemishes effectively and with care. We are proud to offer high-quality, precision orthodontic care in the Sacramento, CA, and Auburn, CA areas. If you would like to see what orthodontic treatment options are available for you, contact our practice to schedule a free consultation with our team! Contact our office online or call us at (916) 924-8970.