Traditional braces as we know them first became available in the 1970s. And for years, they were the only option for straighter teeth. In the early 2000s, a group of graduate students from Stanford University developed Invisalign®, a brand of clear braces that has since revolutionized the way people think about modern orthodontics in Sacramento and beyond. Read More
Living with braces takes getting used to, but the cosmetic results are well worth it. Dr. David Markham wants your treatments to be as comfortable as possible. After Dr. Markham has placed your braces at his Sacramental, CA clinic, you’ll want to follow these simple tips. Read More
Investing in a straighter smile is a big decision, so it’s important to choose the right type of treatment approach. Our practice is pleased to offer different kinds of braces, including both traditional and clear braces. Depending on your aesthetic wishes and your treatment goals, one or the other may be a better fit. At a smile consultation with either Dr. David Markham or Dr. Steven Scott, our team can help you decide on the type that is right for you. Learn what sets these different kinds of braces apart below!
Ready to start your journey towards a straighter smile? Contact our practice today! With three locations in the greater Sacramento area, we offer the most convenient, high quality orthodontic care. Speak to a member of our team today to schedule your initial consultation.
When you think of “braces” you probably picture traditional braces. This method involves placing small metal brackets on each tooth, secured to the outer tooth through a small amount of dental composite. Each bracket is then connected with a metal wire which runs around the length of the top and bottom teeth. Adjustments to the wiring, made by members of our team, slowly shift each tooth into alignment.
While the visibility of the brackets can still be a drawback for some patients, there are many benefits. This method remains one of the least expensive options. In addition, unlike removable solutions, patients don’t have to remember to diligently wear the alignment trays; this makes it a great choice for teens or children who could be forgetful or less disciplined with their orthodontic treatment. Finally, traditional braces are usually the best option for patients with more complex orthodontic issues.
If you’re looking for a third smile-straightening solution that is even less noticeable while being just as effective, Invisalign® is your answer! Invisalign® ’s discrete appearance is often its number one benefit for patients. In addition, the Invisalign® method offers:
- Gentle Alignment: SmartTrack moves teeth into their correct place with an effective but gentle force.
- Comfortable Wear: A snug, sure fit keeps the clear aligners from coming loose during daily wear.
- Less Restrictions: Invisalign® can be removed while eating or drinking, so a patient’s diet does not have to be altered to protect the integrity of brackets or wires.
Discover Your Braces Solution Today!
The smile you’ve dreamed of is possible at Markham Orthodontics. We know that orthodontic treatment is never a one-size-fits-all approach. That’s why we are proud to offer different kinds of braces for different patients. Dr. David Markham or Dr. Steven Scott can discuss your alignment options and help you determine which approach will best fit with your lifestyle and expectations. If you’re in the Auburn, Natomas, or Gold River, CA areas and are ready to invest in a straighter smile, contact our office to schedule your smile consultation.
Do you want to straighten your teeth, but you’re not sure you want to wear metal braces? As an alternative, clear bracket braces have arrived on the orthodontic scene, offering tremendous benefits. If you have been contemplating clear bracket braces, our practice shares some of their advantages, as well as how we can help create a smile you will love to share. So, join Markham Orthodontics in Sacramento, Gold River, and Auburn, CA, as we explore orthodontic options. Dr. David Markham and his skilled orthodontic team are here, ready to help you.
To learn more, or to schedule an orthodontic consultation, give us a call at 916-924-8970. We can help you choose an option to fit your lifestyle and aesthetic preferences.
Clear Bracket Braces vs. Traditional Braces
Clear bracket braces are very similar to traditional metal braces. However, because clear braces utilize ceramic brackets and tooth-colored wires, they blend in much better than their conventional alternatives. Additionally, for complex cases, clear braces are often more effective than aligner trays. For overbites, gaps, crooked back teeth, or teeth sitting atop one another, clear bracket braces are a viable option.
Advantages of Clear Bracket Braces
Clear bracket braces provide an array of benefits and can offer the straightest teeth imaginable. Here are some of the benefits clear bracket braces offer:
- Although clear bracket braces are made similarly to traditional metal ones, their brackets are transparent, small, and virtually invisible to the eye, especially if the orthodontist uses a frosted arch wire. With this design, your clear bracket braces are discreet. Forget photos with that “metal mouth”; your clear braces will be undetectable during your treatment.
- One may think that your clear braces are not durable; nothing could be further from the truth! Believe it or not, your clear bracket braces are very tough. Even though metal is sturdier, your clear braces are designed to ensure maximum strength. At Markham Orthodontics, we use only quality materials, ensuring your clear braces will last the duration of your treatment.
- Thankfully, your clear bracket braces will not demineralize the tooth’s enamel. With ground-breaking orthodontic technology, you can be assured that your clear braces will not damage your teeth. With state-of-the-art bonding materials, they help to prevent color change as well as demineralization around the bracket. So as your teeth become straight, you will not have to worry about your tooth enamel being affected. A highly-effective adhesive will keep your braces affixed to your teeth, with no discomfort or damage to your teeth.
- The glorious day will come in which your clear bracket braces will be removed. Fortunately, the removal process should be easy. With the technological advances described previously, your clear bracket braces will easily come off of your teeth while leaving the enamel healthy and intact.
- Your clear bracket braces have a sleek design, with your comfort in mind. Most patients report minimal discomfort and a reduction in soft tissue irritation.
- Thanks to advances in technology, your clear bracket braces will not stain easily. Initially clear braces would stain after eating and drinking. The original clear braces were made of plastic and stains would adhere to them with certainty. Today, your clear bracket braces are not only clear, but less receptive to discoloration.
Contact Markham Orthodontics Today
For the straight smile you desire, you owe it to yourself to contact Dr. David Markham and discuss clear bracket braces as an option. He and our Sacramento, CA team will offer you all of the information you need to make an informed decision. Make an appointment with us online, or call us at one of our three locations. We look forward to providing you with the stellar smile you deserve!
Straight teeth aren’t a recent cosmetic wish – symmetrical, even smiles have always been desirable. History shows us that even thousands of years ago, people were attempting to align teeth with some rather surprising methods. We’re looking back at the history of orthodontic treatment from ancient times until now, to learn how modern orthodontics came to be.
If you desire a straighter, more beautiful smile, Markham Orthodontics can help! Dr. David Markham and Dr. Steven Scott offer orthodontic treatments for every age and lifestyle, to help you achieve the smile of your dreams. For braces, retainers, mouth guards or Invisalign treatment in the greater Sacramento, CA area, contact our practice — with three convenient locations to better serve you!
The early Egyptians were some of the first people who created early orthodontic instruments to align crooked teeth. Egyptian mummies have been found with metal pieces around their teeth, which researchers believe may have been connected to cords for the purpose of straightening misaligned teeth.
Ancient Etruscans, Greeks, and Romans employed similar tactics. Ancient Etruscan remains have shown gold bands around preserved bodies, that was thought to have maintained their teeth alignment after death. Famous philosophers Aristotle and Hippocrates even wrote about different tactics for correcting teeth alignment issues.
The 18th Century
With the 18th century came a new wave of enlightenment and research into many medical fields. A French physician named Pierre Fauchard, who is often called the Father of Dentistry, researched and wrote extensively on different methods for straightening teeth. In addition, he created a dental appliance known as a bandeau. Essentially an early retainer, this semi-circular metal device was developed to fit around teeth and apply steady pressure to misaligned teeth. Fauchard also experimented with early oral surgery, and would use forceps to move misaligned teeth forcefully into place before tying them to surrounding teeth during the healing process.
American Orthodontic History and Modern Techniques
In the 19th century, early American orthodontic treatment began. J. S. Gunnell is credited with the creation of the occipital anchorage, a dental appliance designed to be worn outside of the mouth. This device is similar to modern orthodontic headgear. Vulcanized rubber was created by Charles Goodyear in 1839; after a process of vulcanizing rubber by adding additional chemicals, rubber became more flexible, durable, and resistant to wear. This new, more pliable material helped to advance many orthodontic studies.
Edward Hartley Angle, known as the “Father of Modern Orthodontics,” taught and practiced orthodontics in the Midwest in the late 19th century and developed over 40 patents for orthodontic appliances. He founded the Angle Orthodontist, an international journal of research and study that is still in publication today.
In the 1970s, dental adhesives became widely used, and changed modern braces. Dental brackets were developed in the mid-1970s which replaced the older method of wrapping wires around teeth. Today, 3-D imaging, X-ray technology, and 3-D printing has completed changed orthodontic treatments. Invisalign® and other clear aligners allow for nearly invisible teeth alignment solutions, helping to solve the cosmetic issues which patients have long associated with orthodontics.
Schedule Your Complimentary Consultation
Orthodontic treatments have come a long way from their humble beginnings. We are proud to offer high-quality, precision orthodontic care in the Sacramento, CA and Auburn, CA areas. If you would like to see what orthodontic treatment options are available for you, contact our practice to schedule a free consultation with our team! Call us at(916) 924-8970.